So I took a break from my computer –
and from going crazy of setting up my blog – and decided that my first meal will be layered-aubergine! I tried aubergine for the first time (in my life) a week ago, when I first cooked this meal…never before, I swear! So I made it again, was inspired by my beloved cookbook of Charlotte Pike – but changed it a bit. So here is the result and the consequences…
What we need:
- 2 thick aubergines – sliced lengthways into thick slices -1,5 cm
- cheese -…the more the merrier.
- 3-4 pieces garlic cloves – peeled and chopped
- 5 teaspoons of olive oil
- 5-6 medium-sized potatoes – (optional)
- 2x400g cans tomato paste
- salt, pepper
- 1 teaspoon (if you feel like, even more) – oregano, basil
- pinch of sugar
First preheat the oven to 180 Celsius. Grease 2 baking sheets with 2-2 teaspoons of olive oil. Cut the aubergines lengthwise after you chopped of the top of it. So first cut it in half, and if it is still too thick, once again lengthways. Put the slices on the oily sheets and put it in the oven for at least 20 min until they became golden brown.
While the slices are in the oven you can work on the sauce. Warm up with gentle heat 3 teaspoons of olive oil in a saucepan, and after it is hot enough (I always put an innocent piece of garlic in it first, to see how good it is) put all of the garlic in it, and cook it for like 2-3 min. We do not want these to get burned and brown so stir it. Pour the tomato sauce into it, add salt, pepper, sugar and basel..taste it, stir it, cover it with a lid and let it cook for 10-15 min. (Do look at it sometimes, stir it and add spices if needed.)
(You can pre-cook the potatoes for 20 min, peel them and cut them vertically into slices if you feel like adding another layer later on.)
The aubergine slices should be ready by now, take them out, season them slightly with salt an pepper, get a ovenproof baking dish and put 1 layer aubergine on the bottom. Afterwards a layer of tomato sauce, (a layer of potato if you feel like) as much grated cheese that slightly covers the previous layer, and once again from the beginning..the last layer should be aubergine with grated cheese on the top! A lot grated cheese:)
Put it back into the over for another approx. 20 min until the cheese is golden and the sauce is bubbling.
Hope you like it as much as We do!:)
So what you have to look out, in my experiences:
– in case aubergine do not turn golden brown after like 20 min, like mine, (for me it took 35 to be honest – I don’t know why) put some oil on the top of it and turn on grill. I listened to my Mom and after 4 minutes they were beautiful:)
– sauce gets easily sticky and burned, so keep on stirring it often.
– garlic gets even more easily burned:)