I think there are a few problems with oat flakes at first sight. At least there was for me:) First you have to know about me that I didn’t like food that was not solid. I still don’t like when it’s consistence is somewhere between solid food and soup (I know it’s weird)…I am not sure how to put it more clearly, but what I am trying to say is that I truly never liked the consistence of the kind of food that is in fact like – cooked oat flakes. So that’s my number one problem.
Number two is the taste. It doesn’t have a taste. At least this is what I thought…I read in several pages that it can be weird at first, because of the neutral taste it has, you have to get used to it and then you will start liking it. Well I did change my mind. A lot. It is my most favorite breakfast now, super healthy, fast, can get it in gluten free too – multi-functional!:)…I really like it.
You can check the whole recipe on this prezi link, or just keep reading here:)
What we need:
(for 2 people)
- 20 dkg oat flakes
- 4,5-5 dl water
- 2 pinch of salt
- 2 spoons of honey
- 1 apple
- 1 big or 2 small bananas
2) When it starts loosing its liquid consistence and starts bubbling and looks thicker than it used to be – like in this photo – you can add the honey and stir it.
3) Cut the bananas into small circles and add it to the out flakes and keep on stirring it gently.
4) All together you have to cook it for 5 minutes. When it gets a bit more thick but still creamy you are done. Pour it into a small bowl, hint with cinnamon and add sliced apple pieces on the top.
Hope you like it as much as We do!:)
So what you have to look out in my experiences:
– keep on stirring it continuously, because it can stick to the pan easily, especially close to the finnish… so medium heat and stirring!
– do not over cook it. It has to be thick but it is not a solid food. It even tastes better when it is not that dry, but a bit creamy.
– if you want to make your life easier throw some hot water into the pot immediately after you are done, otherwise it will be a nightmare to wash it later on!!!