I will have several posts and recipes with sour-creme because I love it. Hungarians generally love sour-creme and use it quite often while cooking. I read a blog about an American who lives in Budapest and absolutely agrees with me. He is a teacher and one day the task for the kids was to rename the colors. Like orange turned out to be ‘rusty bicycle‘, pink ‘Mom’s lipstick’. So here comes a sweet darling Hungarian boy and renames the white to ‘tejföl’, which is sour-creme in Hungarian. I think this story gives an absolutely correct example of the relationship between us Hungarians and tejföl:)
The main character in this recipe is not the sour creme but a huge potato and fried mushroom (with a sour creme sauce)…my boyfriend loved it, and once again, easy to make it and looks amazing.
What we need: for 1 person
- 1 huge potato, or if you can’t get those just use the normal ones, but than make it 2-3
- 5 spoons of sour creme
- 4-5 mushrooms – cut it into 5 mm slices
- 1-2 spoons of butter
- 1 chopped garlic and 1 smashed one
- salt and pepper
- First we need to bake the potatoes so wash them and while it is wet rub it with salt. Pre heat the oven to 220°C and give it an hour. Push a sharp knife through the potato 4-5 times before you put it into the oven to avoid explosion (it could happen…).
- Check the potato after like 45 minutes, how soft it is. If the knife goes into smoothly it is good if still not soft enough give it another 10 minutes. When it is finally okay, cut it into half and let it grill for 4-5 minutes.
- When the potato is almost ready, start on the sauce. Get a frying pan and the butter, heat it up on medium heat until the butter melts and starts bubbling. Add the chopped garlic and cook it for about 2 minutes. Now add the washed, peeled and sliced mushrooms, stir it and give it another 10 minutes. (Yes I do peel the mushrooms some people just wash them..fell free to decide). It should be soft by the end.
- While the mushrooms are cooking and you are stirring them from time to time you can make the sour creme sauce. Get a small bowl, add the sour creme, salt, pepper (start with 1 big pinch of both) and half of a small smashed garlic. Mix it, taste it and add more of these if needed.
- When the mushrooms are ready just mix it with the sauce. Get the potato out from the oven and pour the sauce on it.
Hope you like it as much as We do!:)
So what you have to take look out in my experiences:
– the potato: I know it might take some time, but be patient. Just put it into the oven an hour and a half before you would want to start eating so it will be ready for sure. If the potatoes are not that huge than 45-55 minutes should be enough. If you want it to get ready faster cut it in almost half – not entirely, and place it into the oven like that.
– if you keep on stirring the sauce the mushrooms will be fine.