In general I don’t have a sweet tooth, I prefer baking them than eating sweets (not like my boyfriend) but I like cakes with fruits, especially with sour cherry. Plus this is the cake I first learned how to bake when I was around 15. I never cooked, but I remember baking this typical Hungarian cake several times. I think there are so many steps where a sponge cake can be ruined (like my most obvious one in this case: forgetting the baking powder…I did…really.) so I will make an entire post about the most important rules of sponge cake,but more on that later. So this time I forgot to add the baking powder, as you can see they are flat, but still tasted great so I don’t care, I am still proud enough to post it:)
What we need:
- 8 spoons of flour
- 6 spoons of sugar
- 6 spoons of water
- 6 eggs
- 1 pinch of salt
- sour cherry
- baking powder!
- 1 pack of vanilla sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170°C and put the sour cherry into a colander so it won’t be so wet till you use it.
- Take two bowl and first mix only the egg yolks with the sugar. They say you should mix it for 15 minutes, I am never that patient so I usually stop it after 5-6 minutes (do not follow me). After 2-3 minutes start adding the water spoon by spoon. The whole mix will double its volume close to the end of mixing.
- Now add gradually the flour, baking powder and the vanilla sugar, lose the kitchen mixer and just stir it well.
- Get the cleaned and dry beater and mix the egg whites for about 2-3 minutes with a pinch of salt. The salt will help you to get a whip easier. It must be very thick and the tips of the whites should stand straight up when the beaters are lifted.
- Now you have to fold these two together very carefully. (What folding means and how to do it properly is explained here: Lecture 101: Do You speak kitchen?) First add half of the egg yolks mixture to the egg whites, fold it together than add the other half and repeat, do not over-mix it. They do not have to be 100% mixed!
- Now butter a pan and spread the batter evenly into it. Get the sour cherries and put them on the top. Put it into the over for about 15 minutes. Use a sharp knife to check if its done.
Hope you like it as much as We do!:)
So what you have to look out in my experiences:
– when you are mixing the egg whites you also don’t have to over mix it…when it is really thick you are done.
– really take care when you are folding the batter together with the egg whites.
– do not forget the baking powder, like I did:)