I like layered food because I think they look so great in a see-through dish and taste amazing when all the flavors spend some time together in the oven. Being away from home does not mean we should miss all things, and I am a little bit fed up with salmon ( I know it is a terrible thing to say, I know! – but I am a bit here in Sweden) so let me give some popularity to Hungarian food because it deserves it! This is a very easy dish, tastes really great, looks amazing and perfect for a friends-coming-over-night. I am sure you will like it once you try it! Just leave out the sausage and can serve it in a vegetarian way too.
Let me know how did it work out for you once you tried it!
What we need:
- 8 medium sized potatoes
- sausage -thinly sliced
- 6 eggs
- 6 big spoons of sour creme
- 2 spoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- grated cheese
- First preheat the oven to 180 ºC (350°F). Boil some water, put the potatoes in it and cook them until they become soft inside…check it with a sharp knife. Peel and cut the potatoes into 0,5 cm thick rounds.
- Also cook 4 eggs with the potatoes until hard-boiled – this usually takes 10 minutes. Peel the egg shells – watch out they are very hot! -so first put it under cold water – and cut the eggs into thin approx. 0,5 cm slices.
- Get a bowl pour in 2 eggs, sour-creme, olive oil, salt and pepper and mix it well. This will be your sauce.
- Now the ovenproof dish put 1/3 potatoes in the dish than cover it with 1/3 eggs and the 1/3 sausage add some of the sauce and all over again, continue the layering. Now gently mix the entire thing so you make sure that the sauce gets everywhere.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese on the top and place it into the oven covered with alufolia. Get off the alufolia after 40 minutes and leave it inside for anothe 10 – it’s done when the cheese gets a pretty golden-brownish colour.
Hope you like it as much as We do!:)
So what you have to look out in my experiences:
– If after mixing the dish seems a bit dry, make some more sauce and pour it all over again…because it will be get even drier in the oven.